Marc Siry posts about Job Descriptions from the Future: Director of Metadata, but it sure sounds like a cataloging librarian to me. Here are the key parts of the job description:
- Fashion metadata requirements for content partnerships
- Determine metadata needs for editorial programming interfaces
- Develop a schema that supports product capabilities for discovery and reporting
- build out the CMS and data entry methods to support the schema
- plan for future expansions and revisions of the schema as the business evolves
A 1200 word post on managing metadata with no mention of librarians. It looks like NBC Universal is going to be reinventing a lot of stuff. To reword Isaac Newton’s famous comment, this is standing on the toes of giants, not their shoulders.